Sidor

Tuesday 10 May 2011

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

This is my book review of Bridget Jones’s Diary and the book was written by Helen Fielding. In 1996 the book was published and in 2001 the movie of Bridget Jones’s Diary came. Bridget Jones’s Diary counts as a comedy novel, chic lit.
The book is a diary then for it’s written in the present all the time. The story begins at Mr.  & Mrs. Aconburys New Year Party in Grafton Underwood. The couples are close friends to Bridget’s parents. At that party she meets Mark Darcy for the first time. I should say as adult because they’ve met each other when they were children.
Bridget Jones
Bridget's mother is constantly trying to match Bridget with any man. Bridget is single and the reason the mother thinks is because she is not capable to get a man so therefore she will arrange it instead. And Bridget, in turn, has no chance to assert herself against her mother, but it ends up with her doing as her mother said.
Daniel Cleaver
Daniel Cleaver is Bridget's boss, Bridget and he flirt by sending e-mails to each other, but then also start a relationship. He is a womanizer and thinks life is too short to be bored. He says he knew Mark Darcy in the past.
Mark Darcy
Mark Darcy is perceived as a dry and also boring lawyer, he is strict and does not come up with any unplanned adventure like Cleaver does , but behaves more sober and thoughtful. He is spends time mostly with like-minded and therefore a lot with his colleagues in the law company.

Somewhere in the middle or the end of the book, you notice that both Bridget and Mark have changed. Mark is a bit more relaxed and does not have the same rigid manner and Bridget is not as obsessed by weight loss and not as anxious or nervous like before. Daniel, however, has not changed at all and continues in the same track as before  as a womanizer.
                                                                                                                         
The plot is about Bridget Jones, who talks about what it is like to live her life as a 30 year old single in London, never to find the right one, the fight for the ideal weight, the friends she can not survive without and contests with the boss Cleaver.
This book is easy to understand, that’s why I chose to read this book.  And the book is fun from the beginning. That makes it easier to read then.
I love this book, the first time I read this book and saw the movie I was in the same age as Bridget in the book – and she did things that was so typically me, like “playing” drums in the air and then finish that solo with a kick in the air…I love that!!
That which makes this book so great is that I can relate so much to myself. Like how she
thinks, her silly but oh so funny excuses, her concerns about appearance and get a boyfriend.
Her faltering attempts to talk about feelings with a new boyfriend. It was like that I also
felt a period. I recognize myself so well and I think that's precisely why I love this book.
I don’t think there’s anything in the book that is bad and I would surely recommended this book to other people. I would highly recommend this book, because if you want a good laugh and get the feeling that you will recognize - read Bridget Jones’s Diary!
Written by Anette

No comments: